Johor Bahru is located in the southern Malaysia and it is the capital city of the Johor state. The name of this city can be divided into two words- baru and johor, which translated from Malay language means ‘new jewel’. One of the greatest things about this city is the fact that it has an abundance of places where people can go shopping. With a population of about a million of people and a very pleasant climate and high temperatures, Johor Bahru is an attractive tourist destination. It is advisable to avoid visiting Johor Bahru during the monsoon season which lasts from November to February. The best time for visiting this city is from March to October, although the prices are then much higher than during the monsoon season.
• In Johor Bahru smoking is banned in public places, but smoking in open spaces and bars and restaurants is allowed.
• Unlike many other cities in Malaysia, Johor Bahru’s crime rate is surprisingly high. Therefore, it is advised to be careful when walking around the city, especially during the night.
• Johor Bahru is famous for having all sorts of delicious food and the most famous local dish is called Bak Kut Teh, which is basically a pork stew.
History and Culture
The capital city of Johor was founded in 1855 and it was granted city status in 1994. For those visitors to Johor Bahru who would like to learn something new about the history and the culture of this amazing city, it is a great idea to visit one of the breath taking mosques such as Sultan Abu Bakar State Mosque or the Masjid India. Also, the Sultan Abu Bakar Royal Palace Museum is one of the main tourist attractions of Johor Bahru.
Things to See and Do
Johor Bahru is packed with tourist attractions and interesting places to visit, such as:
• Sultan Ibrahim Building – home of the State Secretariat, this building is an architectural jewel dating from 1940.
• Istana Bukit Serene – the residence of Sultan of Johor, this building was built in the Art Deco style in 1933.
• Johor Bahru Art Gallery – built in 1910, this gallery offers people the opportunity to experience mostly Malaysian art.
• Johor Bahru Zoo – a great zoo with many different species of birds and mammals to see.
Nightlife in Johor Bahru
There are numerous places in Johor Bahru where people can go and have a great time after dark. With a wide selection of night clubs, bars and cafes, Johor Bahru will be just the place to visit for people who enjoy spending their nights dancing and having a good time not only with their friends, but also with some of the many interesting people they meet along the way.
Eating and Drinking
Although it can be said that Johor Bahru is a great city for trying out many exotic dishes at affordable prices, it is important to mention that people should be aware of the fact that some restaurants might be very expensive, especially the ones that do not offer the prices of dishes on the menu. Regardless of this fact, there are many different restaurants and fast food shops that offer local and international food at great prices.